Looking for experiences with Z-scaler in China

(Patrik Jonsson) #1

Hi!
I used to live in China and I know that you can’t take anything for granted there with the Great Firewall.

We’re considering using Z-scaler Internet Access in China and I would like to know if someone here has attempted it. Has it been stable? Any issues accessing sites outside, or even inside China? Any input is good input.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Patrik

(Jones Leung) #2

Hi Patrick,

How are you?

As you can tell from my job title, I am one of the staff who is focusing on the China business.

We do have customers headquartered in China using our Zscaler Internet Access services from our public cloud for over a year. No need to mention other large multinational enterprises with large presence in China.

Zscaler has built two data centers in China, using local internet links partnering with local hosting companies, in order to follow the local regulations.

Best Regards,

Jones Leung

SE Manager, Greater China

Zscaler

(Andreas Kopplinger) #3

Hi,

two of my customers have also severe issues with the performance in China. Performance decreases significantly, if traffic is routed to ZENs in Shanghai or Tianjin. Without Zscaler, there are no issues. There are also no differences between web pages in China and out of China, like Europe.

They also experimented with different ISPs on their locations, but without succes.

My information on the ZEN ISP providers:
Tianjin: China Unicom
Shanghai: China Telecom

My questions:

Can anybody confirm the ISP providers of the ZENs?

Has anybody also experienced such performance issues in China and was able to solve this?

Does China generally limit proxy traffic via the “Great Firewall”?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Andreas

(Patrik Jonsson) #4

Thanks guys! Will be interesting to read the reply from Jones.

Kind regards,
Patrik

(Jones Leung) #5

Hi Andreas,

Sad to hear your bad experience with our China nodes.

We are using local ISP links within China, which means the traffic will stay inside the Great Firewall.

When you see the issue, may I know if there is any support ticket opened? Sometimes the issue may due to unoptimized routing between ISP, which we can use Z Analyzer to get more insight to it and improve it. That’s possible no matter it’s inside or outside China.

To Patrik,

If you really want to get more ideas about the experience of our China datacenters, we can always arrange a simple trial for it.

Best Regards,

Jones Leung

Zscaler, Inc

(Andreas Kopplinger) #6

Hi,
thanks for your reply.
yes, there were tickets opened:
#698299 - this was opened by the customer, I don’t have access to the content.

The ticket number of the second customer is #592542.
This should contain MTRs and also Zscaler Analyzer results.
Best regards
Andreas

(Jones Leung) #7

Thanks Andreas.

I don’t have the access to those full case details, but for the case opened by your customer, it seems the issue is to access of some of the overseas sites hosting pretty far away from Asia, instead of a general datacenter issue.

I can see that the case is still active and there are a lot of back and forth communications. I kindly encourage you to work with the customer and our support to see if it is any routing issue specifically to those sites, or if it is the case that customer original ISP actually has done something value added to make the direct access much better than normal access speed when zscaler is applied.

Feel free to get your local SE involved if any escalation is needed. I am sure they will be more than happy to help.

Best Regards,

Jones Leung

Zscaler

(Andreas Kopplinger) #8

Hi,

thanks for your assistance. I will ask both customers about routing optimization.

I will update this threat, if we either get useful infromation or find a solution.
Best regards
Andreas

(Jones Leung) #9

Thx a lot Andreas!

Please do come back so that we can always get the latest feedback to improve our service.

Best Regards,

Jones Leung

Zscaler