ZPA ZApp for Linux required

Worked okay for me the other day, but today my Zscaler connection keeps flapping. I’ve ruled out it being a problem on my end. I can curl the VPN server during the problems just fine, so it appears to be a problem in the application layer. I’ll be submitting a support ticket to my company.

Has anyone else experienced Zscaler connection flapping problems?

Does a reboot seem to stabilize it?

A reboot didn’t help (understandably, since that fix is much more for Windows), but today the issue has vanished. No clue why. Will see if it ever comes back. Thanks!

Carrier Corp users submit a SNOW ticket to the zscaler team.

My response from my SNOW ticket.

Currently ZCC for Linux has been validated on CentOS 8, in addition to Ubuntu 20.04.
Kindly let us know your OS version.

Dear Team,
I would need this for the following SUSE distros:

-SLES15 SP3
-OpenLeap 15.3

Thanks

Luis

…and that’s where the problems start. I’ve tried it on Fedora 35 KDE and on Arch Linux. It fails on both. I was able to get it to install on Kubuntu 21.10, but that’s not ideal.

We need a .deb and .rpm package for the two major distro package manager formats. Even if we had one of them, the community would handle converting to the other. Heck, just a tarball and the community would do the rest. A .run file that only works on very specific Linux distros is just mean.

1 Like

i tend to agree with linuxninja. Giving us a .run is basically a big meme. Heck id be happyish with a snap (shudders) or an appimage. We cant get official distro package manager support? I think a .deb is coming in 1.3 so I’m holding out hope for that.

Its totally borked for me on Arch/Manjaro. I’ve got semi stability in Debian based stuff but its still lagging majorly behind the other OS’s on postures and working with any kind of stability.

Yes .deb package is targeted to come out with 1.3, and additional posture checks are planned for this release to. The goal is always for parity on all platforms though naturally with Linux being relatively new we need to add these in!

For Debain based stability issues, @sunrise can you clarify? Are you seeing these on Ubuntu or is it another debian based distro?

Yes many issues.

Dependencies not met many times need to install them manually:

sudo apt install xcb libglib2.0-0 net-tools libqt5dbus5 libqt5core5a libqt5gui5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5 libqt5quickcontrols2-5 libqt5quickparticles5 libqt5quickwidgets5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5webchannel5 libqt5webengine5 libqt5webenginecore5 libqt5webenginewidgets5 libqt5webkit5 libqt5webview5 libqt5widgets5 dbus libdbus-glib-1-2 libnss3-tools libnss-resolve curl jq systemd-coredump

Upgrade from 1.2.0.28 was failing consistently - seems daemon was not allowing this. Had to manually uninstall and then manually download it ie sudo ./Zscaler-linux-1.2.0.28-installer.run

cd /opt/zscaler/bin
sudo ./install.sh -prI
sudo ./install.sh -poI 1.2.1.3

Apparmor by default blocks Zscaler, fix:

sudo ln -s /etc/apparmor.d/opt.zscaler.bin.zsupdater /etc/apparmor.d/disable/
sudo ln -s /etc/apparmor.d/opt.zscaler.bin.zsaservice /etc/apparmor.d/disable/
sudo ln -s /etc/apparmor.d/opt.zscaler.bin.zstunnel /etc/apparmor.d/disable/

apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/disable/opt.zscaler.bin.zsaservice
apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/disable/opt.zscaler.bin.zstunnel
apparmor_parser -R /etc/apparmor.d/disable/opt.zscaler.bin.zsupdater

Any non ubuntu OS has to change /etc/os-release to trick it into thinking its ubuntu this is the case for PopOS!, ZorinOS etc

For anyone it helps you can make Manjaro work with the following:

Change the name in /etc/os-release from “Manjaro linux” to “Arch” or the .run installer will fail.

Run the installer - it will likely fail the dependencies - this is fine. It will create /var/log/zscaler/zscaler-installation.log

In my case i was missing the following: glib2, net-tools, qt5-base, qt5-tools, qt5-webengine, dbus-glib, ca-certificates, nss, libpcap, gnome-tweaks (im running XFCE but ok) wget, curl, jq

Simply sudo pacman -S (missing pacakages)

Rerun .run installer and it will work

Revert changes on /etc/os-release