YouTube content control

(Alex) #1

Is there a better way to control YouTube content then just allowing access to it?

(Chandan Agarwal) #2

Alex, several customers leverage the service of Bandwidth Control to

1. Limit YouTube/Other applications to specific network limits (like 1Mbps)
  2. Prioritize Office 365/Other business critical applications over YouTube

If you’d like to trial the service, let us know and we will work with your account team to enable the service.

(Alex) #3

Thank you for the suggestion, but bandwidth control does not help with YouTube content control.

(Chandan Agarwal) #4

My bad, I was thinking you were asking more from bandwidth consumption perspective.

We do not have the capability of allowing/blocking specific channels in YouTube. We can open an enhancement request for this ask. For us to give you the tracking number and progress, please include your name and organization and we can reach out to you.

(Andy Logan) #5

A post was split to a new topic: YouTube control based on API access

(Arne Diaz) #6

Hi Alex (@avshch),

I was able to help a customer allow their own channel/specific videos while blocking all other YouTube access. During my testing, I was able to use the logs available via the admin UI to see what URLs were necessary to allow in addition to the Video ID. You will need to have SSL Scanning enabled in order to accomplish this and be sure you are not bypassing YouTube traffic.

I went ahead and created 2 custom URL categories (Administration > URL Categories) and populated them with the necessary URLs and my Zscaler YouTube test channel along with a few allowed videos in a playlist. I also added the Video IDs to the keyword section of the URL category.

To test this in your own environment, you will need to add a URL policy to allow this custom URL category (YouTube Channel - Allowed), assign to the right users or group; then create a rule underneath that one to block YouTube using the 2nd custom URL category (YouTube - Blocked).

Replace my test channel below with your own along with your own allowed playlist and video IDs.

Below suggestion is using my own YouTube Channel and allowed videos:

Within the YouTube Allowed custom URL category I added the following to the URLs Retaining Parent Category section:

.googlevideo.com
.youtube.com/channel/UCJXLXjDYanCXQ75gOBlnI2g
.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLGB27YuXjDMzCeF-TwkS4fvKGTeCrqeS&spfreload=10
.youtube.com/yts/
.yt3.ggpht.com
.ytimg.com
s.youtube.com

Under the Custom Keywords section I added the video IDs I wanted to allow:

0rxtGtF6wsc
Gv3-AL4W1wg
VWu12rPcYN0
ZPbrWJkaNO8
caBTTkuMF8A
lGpJtmCLFyU
w5cYvzzWYnw

Be sure to add the Video ID for each video you wish to allow under keywords.

Within the YouTube Blocked custom URL category I added the following to the URLs Retaining Parent Category section:

.googlevideo.com
.youtube.com
.youtube.com/
.youtube.com/yts/
.ytimg.com
s.youtube.com
suggestqueries.google.com
youtubei.googleapis.com
yt3.ggpht.com

Next, you will need to add 2 policies under Policy > URL & Cloud App Control. Be sure to place the YouTube Blocked rule BELOW the YouTube Allowed rule as a catch all to block all remaining YouTube access.

Once all settings have been applied, when navigating to www.youtube.com you should receive a block notification.

If you don’t get the block notification, the first thing to check is to see if your SSL cert is intercepting this traffic.

Upon navigating to the allowed YouTube channel, you should be able to proceed without error and be allowed to see the allowed channel and playlist.

At the same time, using my test channel and allowed videos; if you click on any of the videos along the right that have not been added to the allowed list you should receive a block message.

(Ramesh M) #8

I was used the same method for allow specific videos and block all other YouTube.